So 2012 is long gone and we’re already a week and a half into January. That’s crazy talk. With the beginning of a new year comes of course new year resolutions. I’ve never really been one for New Year’s resolutions. I don’t know why, I just wouldn’t ever think about it until it was too late. I was always the one making up some resolutions off the top of my head while everyone else was taking their turn sharing. I’m still kinda like that, but I know it’s a good thing to make goals. It’s good to write them down and to actually work at accomplishing them. So the first week of January has already come and gone, but when I was reading my friend Natalie’s goals for the new year, I decided I too should probably get some in writing. So I guess it’s better late than never (which applies to so many aspects in my life). Here are 13 goals for 2013…bring it.
1. Take my dreadlocks out- Yes, this is the year it’s going to happen. I keep going back and forth about it, whether I really want them gone or not. It’s time. The problem is it’s going to take time. I’ve taken 3 out so far with a total of 6 clocked hours of de-dreading. I’m giving myself till the end of the year.
2. Make healthy choices- More green food. Less ranch dressing. That needs to be my motto. I’m not just talking healthy food choices though, also healthy choices for my mental well being and spiritual maturity.
3. Finish what I start- I am the queen of unfinished business. This year I would like to actually finish some of the projects I start.
4. Go to Haiti with Erin- I haven’t been to Haiti since 2009. My sister travels there on a semi-regular basis and is always trying to get me to go with her. This year I’m gonna get that ticket.
5. Step out of my comfort zone- This one is kinda vague, but being an introvert, I tend to shy away from any kind of uncomfortable situation. You extroverts would be surprised at just how many situations are uncomfortable, haha.
6. Read more and spend less time in front of the computer- That’s kind of ironic since I’m typing this on my computer. I’m sure the majority of you can relate though, I get on my computer for a “couple of minutes” and 2 hours later I’ve gotten nothing done. Books. Books are good.
7. Decide on the next step- I’m currently back in Michigan. I need to figure out what I want to do next. It can’t take the entire year, so this is more of current goal.
8. Renew my teaching certificate- Since I haven’t been using my degree, my certificate has expired. I have to make up 150 professional development hours in order to renew. Even if I don’t decide to go back to teaching that certificate could come in handy.
9. Get serious about my online shop- I absolutely LOVE selling vintage on Etsy. I would love to be able to do it as a more substantial source of income, but I’ve got to get serious about it. There are a few things that I need to step up if I want to take it to the next level.
10. See people as people…love more, love unconditionally- This is an ongoing goal, I should never take it off the list. I have to be reminded everyday to see people as people, we all have faults, we all have hurts, we’re all different. Love, and love without conditions.
11. Be a good stewart of my time and money- Pretty self explanatory. Saving a little money wouldn’t hurt.
12. Get outside- I’m hoping to take advantage of the place I am in at this present time. I’m surrounded by beauty here in northern Michigan, so I need to get my butt outside and not take it for granted.
13. Have fun, enjoy life, stress less- It’s about being content. Enjoying the little things in life. I want to be more aware of these things this year.
So there they are. Here’s to hoping I can cross some of them off by next year!